A triumphant return to Aldi today! I spent a little more than I had expected but we were out of some staples but I bought a ton of stuff. I didn’t need too much in the way of meat or produce because I have some leftover from another shop and I know I won’t be cooking much over the weekend. I wish our ads started on Sunday or Monday! Wednesday is awkward because the week is half over and I don’t cook a ton on the weekends. Sometimes I end up buying something because it has a good expiration date vs what I really feel like making.
- Beet hummus was back! It must have been a special a couple of weeks ago because there were only a few left and it was jammed in a corner.
- Aldi versions of Popcorners ($1.99) and tortilla scoops (89¢). We don’t actually need any snack food right now but you never know what they are going to have (or how much it will be) from one week to the next and they had great expiration dates so I picked them up.
- Cucumber ranch dressing. Their organic “gourmet” dressings are generally pretty good so I thought I’d give it a try.
- Tomatoes on the vine smelled like actual tomatoes and were only 89¢ for 6 tomatoes.
- A box of Old El Paso soft shell and crunchy shell mix tortillas. I thought maybe we’d recreate my husband’s old favorite double stuffed tacos one night. I also got iceberg lettuce and baby avocados for toppings.
- Club rolls to make oyster po’boys with using the rest of the lettuce and tomato.
- Mushrooms for 99¢. I think I am going to saute them with the pork chops for dinner.
- Chili sauce–I used it in pulled pork and meatloaf but it is a seasonal item so I try to stock up when it’s in stock.
- Otter Pops! I’ve heard of them but never actually saw any before today. Apparently, these are coconut water sorbet pops. I like a shelf-stable ice pop because they don’t melt on the way back from the store. The packaging is super cute.
- I normally don’t buy apples in July but its still too early for most local summer fruits and they smelled really good. It’s a variety I’ve never had before called Honeybear.
I spent $63.18 for 34 items for an average of $1.85 an item which I think is my lowest per item average yet!