This week is a bit of an odd shop because as I had a ton leftover from last week since I was away Friday-Monday (we’re having that ravioli and spinach tonight) so I didn’t need much this week and I really stocked up on corned beef. I spent $88.19 which is more than usual but $37.10 of it was corned beef. Don’t judge!
- I can’t resist $1.99/lb corned beef. I freeze it when it goes on sale before St Patrick’s Day and use it all year in all sorts of recipes. Plus it is often completely unavailable at certain parts of the year and as a recipe developer, I like to have it on hand in case I need it for a client. I made corned beef and cabbage buns out of it. Recipe here.
- More fresh salsa (hot) for $2.49. It really is fresh tasting!
- Eggplant (99¢/each) and mushrooms ($1.49/8oz) to saute with the spinach from last week to serve on the ravioli.
- Both kinds of Irish bangers ($2.99)–last year we had the ale and onion ones and liked it so this year I thought we’d try the plain ones too. Pretty good date (late April) but I’m not sure if they will freeze well so I will have to remember to eat them both.
- Irish soda bread mix ($1.29). Normally I don’t buy baking mixes but my husband is going to a St Patrick’s Day potluck type thing with the group he volunteers for and needs to bring something. This seemed the easiest and cheapest solution.
- Bittersweet chips! ($1.79) These are a winter holiday item but I went to a different Aldi than usual today and they had a ton. I think this is the Aldi that gets sent things that don’t sell from smaller stores because I have seen a lot of leftover Aldi finds there.
- Asparagus is only $1.29/lb!
- Grated Cojita cheese is $4.29/lb, at Shoppers it was $7.
- Bought some Irish cheddar with beer in it. Could be good, could be gross for $3.99.
- Split peas were about average price at $1.29 but worth picking up so I don’t have to go anywhere else for them. I haven’t seen them at Aldi before.
- Can’t beat $2.99 for a big tub of mozzarella balls in water.
In summary, I looked a little nutty today at Aldi where I spent $37.10 on corned beef and $7.16 on chocolate chips. I have some slight food hoarding tendencies but it does it eventually get eaten and saves me time and money in the long run.
$88.19/25 items still works out to only $3.53 per item which isn’t too bad.